Volgograd’s foreign friends and partners sing “Katyusha” in commemoration of the Victory Day
The majority of the festive events commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Victory in the Great Partiotic War have been held in the on-line format. Such are the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic which has introduced significant changes to every aspect of our lives.
However, the epidemic and the closed-off borders cannot stop the true friendship. A whole plethora of Volgograd’s foreign friends and partners did manage to send their regards and best wishes to the veterans and all residents of Volgograd.
Alone and in small groups, at home and outside, to pre-recorded or live music, they have all performed the song which, for many people and the Great Patriotic War veterans in particular, is the symbol of victory – the famous “Katyusha”.
The videos with their renditions of “Katyusha” have been recorded by public and political figures, school and university students, people of all ages and professions from all over the world, and not only from Volgograd’s sister and partner-cities.
The following persons have spared no time and effort to send their regards to Volgograd veterans and residents with the “Katyusha” song:
• Ms. Ozgu Beren Kyrkhan, a little singer from Gaziemir (Turkey),
• Dr. Joseph Vromans, honorary professor at the University of Liège (Belgium),
• Ms. Nitcha Todumrongkul, participant of the International Youth Conference for Peace in the Future (Bangkok, Thailand),
• Mr. Li Yanyung, International relations officer at the City of Jilin (China),
• Ms. Inès Lakihal, participant of the International Youth Conference for Peace in the Future (Grigny, France),
• Dr. Kouki Inai, Chair of the International Youth Conference for Peace in the Future (Hiroshima, Japan),
• Mt. Tomonori Oshita, coordinator of the International Youth Conference for Peace in the Future, Municipal board of Education (Hiroshima, Japan),
• Ms. Christiane Reymann, writer and public figure (Berlin, Germany),
• Ms. Catherine Hudelot, member of the “Bourgogne Eurcasie” civic association (Dijon, France),
• Mr. Michael Schlick, press-secretary of DIE LINKE parliamentary group in Bundestag (Berlin, Germany).
“Katyusha” video compilation on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
• Russian culture enthusiasts from the “Berezy” People’s Ensemble of Chengdu (China)
“Katyusha” from Chengdu on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
• representatives of the partner-city of Cologne (Germany): Vice-Mayor of Cologne Mr. Andreas Wolter and members of the “Cologne – Volgograd” Friendship Association with their Chair Ms. Eva Aras
“Katyusha” from Cologne on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
• actors of the National Moravian-Silesian Theater in Ostrava (Czech Republic), Honorary Consul of Russia in Ostrava Mr. Aleš Zedník and public associations “Czech-Russian Society in Ostrava” and the “Russian House in Ostrava”
“Katyusha” from Ostrava on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
• numerous talented residents of Volgograd's twin-city Maardu (Estonia)
“Katyusha” from Maardu on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
• Ms. Pru Porretta, the official Lady Godiva of Coventry, founder and chair of the Godiva Trust Charity
“Katyusha” from Coventry on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
• students of the eldest “Schottengymnasium” grammar school in Vienna (Austria) and lecturers of the “RussoMobile” project
“Katyusha” from Austria on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
• editorial staff of the “Zeit Fragen” independent Swiss newspaper
“Katyusha” from Switzerland on the Volgograd Municipal TV website
The result is a whole series of congratulatory video, which can currently all be viewed via the official website of Volgograd Municipal TV – as a heartwarming and touching memory about the 75th anniversary of the Great Victory and a vivid example of people’s diplomacy.